What can we do?
Pay It Forward would like to help improve the conditions in which all citizens in these areas live. This goal will be achieved by:
- Educating people about food scraps; we are not going to solve the trash problem but perhaps we can stem the rat population by educating people to not include food scraps when trash is dumped. Rats eat food and without it their population will decline.
- Educating people about food waste and hoarding – if you are not going to eat the leftovers do not take the doggy-bag from the restaurant, buy what you are going to eat, not in bulk, to prevent food waste, just because it’s on special do not buy food that will expire in a short amount of time, etc.
- Encourage merchants, retailers, and businesses to have trash receptacles at their entrances to provide more opportunities for throwing away trash responsibly.
- Teach residents how to build a composting device and to compost food scraps.
- Encourage less use of pesticides as a means to improve the situation and instead the use of more healthy and safe initiatives.
In order to communicate these ideas, the Pay It Forward program is requesting supporters purchase postage-paid envelopes for a direct mail campaign.
If you are interested in contributing towards printed educational materials please reach out to us directly.